Friday, September 9, 2011

Are You Listening?

I don't know if it's me not teaching the material well or if my 4th period kids are just choosing not to listen. Yesterday I handed out a packet. On the front page were the procedures. I went over every single step, had the kids read some out loud, and repeated pretty much every step twice.....

NINE times. NINE TIMES students asked me what they were supposed to be doing! NINE! NINE DIFFERENT STUDENTS!

We were doing a project where they had to design a table or a chair. Part of the instructions were, "You and a partner will choose to design a table OR a chair. So choose a table OR a chair, whichever you and your partner like, and each partner will design three. You will then decide which design is best."

"Mr. Feldman!?! We have to design a chair AND a table????"
"Mr. Feldman?!?! I draw a table and my partner draws a chair???"
"What are we doing"

I then stopped the class. I said to everyone, "Guys, pick a table OR a chair. If you pick a chair, you and your partner each design three chairs. But remember, we aren't going to start sketching until we've finished our design briefs, done our brainstorming, and then researched." This was not a new concept. They have been learning this process for 3 days now.

I walk around the room and see at least ten kids sketching. I stop the room again. "Class, once again,.....

Oh. Also. The kids have all the instructions on the front page of their packets. Every single step. In order. Under "Procedures." Ya know, the ones we went over together.

Am I wrong in assuming that a student should listen to the instructions the first time I give them? Am I wrong in assuming that they should be able to find the instructions if I hand them a list? This is the only class I have this problem in. I feel like I'm doing the same thing in there that I am in all my other classes. I really don't get it. Maybe I should give them an m&m every time they listen to instructions the first time. Ya know, like 3 year olds. I hope not to have to resort to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment